Sunday 14 June 2009

A new, old love

minolta 01

No this isn't another impulse buy. Despite what you might think, photography has been a hobby in my family for generations...at least for the boys on my father's side. My father had an old slab of steel Olympus film SLR when he was still hanging with me - which might explain why one of the cameras I really want is a super old skool film Olympus.

Not sure why I didn't remember it sooner, but this morning I suddenly remembered I stashed away some old black camera in a box in the garage. After playing with all my old toys I came across, I found it! All I remembered was that, for whatever reason, it was in a Canon box...but wasn't a Canon.

Minolta 02

Actually, I think it was Richie's tweet about high-speed photography that made something in my brain just click. Reading about flashes, and wondering how much a flash would cost, then just tweeting back asking for a flash, then suddenly remembering about this flash an aunt gave me out of the blue for no reason what-so-ever. Yeah, that's probably what happened...

Minolta 03

Like I said, all I remember was that it was in a Canon box (was a Canon Super 28 Caption Prima box if you wanted to know) but I had no memory of what it was. Turns out, it was a MINOLTA! A fully automatic one, aside from the ISO settings, which was a little disappoiting. But a MINOLTA! Red Ranger couldn't believe it either.

Minolta 04

Minolta 05

I noticed this switch on the back, which I initially had no idea what it was for. Thinking, after reading that high-speed photography articleit might be a sound sensor for the shutter, but sif this camera has one. Turns out, it talks to you! I switched out the awesome old skool Energizer batteries that expired in 2003 (the ones with the cool power bar meter thing) and popped in new a new pair of AA. It rewinds and then I hear this Japanese woman tell me in Engrish, "no film". This little feature just makes up for all it's auto'ness.

Minolta 06

Minolta 07

If your eyes are dead after looking at all these photos today, I'm sorry...still a total noob at post-production. But I leave you with a final shot of the whole camera body.

Minolta 08

3 comments:

Carey said...

What's the model number homie?

Unknown said...

It's an AF-Sv Talkman. Serial 3071197

Can't find any info on it anywhere...just some photos on flickr and this old CM on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecN9oMd-6qc

Eugene said...

Splurge Item - San