Sunday 15 January 2012

Day 6: Autobacs. Inbound. Wet. Day.




This is Super Autobacs. It's a automotive supermarket, tyre supplier, service centre and dealership. Those not interested in talk of aftermarket car parts are advised to skip this entry.

Unable to arrange a way to check out Daikoku Futo I needed to get my Tokyo car fix. I'm in Japan. Its car culture is one reason I love the nation of the Rising Sun, so an automotive super store will have to cut the mustard.

Dragging along Mister Ho, we get off at Shinonome station. Where were we? This is clearly not the most socially active part of town. But, walking under the local wangan expressway, spotting a Skyline and Chaser drive past gave me some hope. After eventually getting through the flock of traffic lights, I spot the Super Autobacs sign. All right let's go.

Honestly I had high expectations for this Super Autobacs. Word was there's a wall of bucket seats to admire and sit on, aisles of suspension parts and all that good stuff that a lot of us love about the whole JDM scene. Walking up to this wall of a building, things were looking good. But you can tell I'm going to be disappointed, and I was little.

Walking around inside, a majority of what you see is rice. Cool VIP dress ups, but really it's still rice. My wall of bucket seats was just a corner with less than a dozen different models. Tucked under the waiting room were the exhausts and suspension bits, with a basic display and a catalogue to flip through. Moving over to the gauges, I was hoping to pick up a three gauge panel for my Omoris (45mm), alas only the standard DIN and gauge-cups were on offer for regular modern day 52mm gauges. No Godfather theme horn, either. Obviously no store can have every companies catalogue on display, but I was still disappointed with the dress-up-goods to racer-boy ratio.

Regardless, I still picked up somethings that caught my eye and we made our way home. In the rain no less.
 

No comments: